So…semi-final one went well then? On the surface, 7/10 seems decent but boy it wasn’t half a win for the low energy vibe…
ALBANIA 🇦🇱 ❌
LATVIA 🇱🇻 ❌
UKRAINE 🇺🇦 ✔️
NETHERLANDS 🇳🇱 ✔️
MOLDOVA 🇲🇩 ✔️
PORTUGAL 🇵🇹 ✔️
AUSTRIA 🇦🇹 ❌
GREECE 🇬🇷 ✔️
NORWAY 🇳🇴 ✔️
ARMENIA 🇦🇲 ✔️
No Albania, no Latvia, Austria or even Denmark feels like a loss for an entertaining Saturday night. So no pressure on semi two but they really need to bring the fun.
Let’s start off with the most obvious one of the lot. Sweden are in the final. Given the fact she’ll be in the running for the win, Cornelia Jakobs and Hold Me Closer are as obvious a qualifier as we’ll get in this semi. If it doesn’t make it through then I’ll eat Serhat’s hat.
After that, it really is all up for grabs.
To narrow it down let’s take out a few that I feel are pretty unlikely. North Macedonia and Montenegro both lack sufficient impact to live long enough in the memory to be considered contenders. After them, and I’m gutted to admit this, I just don’t think Circus Mircus have delivered sufficient visuals to carry Georgia through. We’re not getting any 2016 style shocks tomorrow.
There are three entries that have all got professional, well delivered performances on the stage but lack the quality of song to back them up. The three minute inspirational quote set to music from Malta, Israel’s camp declaration of self love and Romania’s equally camp Blackpool week Paso Doble are all staying in the semi.
Then there are three songs that are competing for a similar vote share. If there were too many chill female vocalists in semi one there’s too many sad lads in semi two. I cannot envision a scenario in which all three of Azerbaijan, Australia and Poland make it through. Of the three the Aussies are the safest bet to do it, Sheldon’s just too good not to.
So do I plump for Azerbaijan’s lacklustre song staged wonderfully or Poland’s much more impactful song staged…well…let’s just say it’s a bit messy. This is a real toughie but I’m saying Poland in, Azerbaijan out. Just watch all three of them go through now!
Taking all that into consideration that leaves us with eight nations vying for seven places. So for quickfire qualifiers…
- Some have suggested We Are Domi could do a Triana Park but after seeing rehearsals I can safely say this will not be the case. The Czechs have a much more accessible song & performance and are safely through.
- The Rasmus are a little wonky these days but you bet this will have enough televote to make the cut.
- I personally find everything about the Cypriot & Estonian entries just a tad underwhelming but both are safe enough to make the final.
- I have my reservations about Serbia not quite cutting through with the casuals. Remember the first night of the Serbian NF? This was not as widely loved as it has since become. It’ll be closer than most think but Konstrakta will still just about edge it.
- San Marino. Through. Obvs.
That leaves Ireland or Belgium for that last spot. Brooke comes full of life and charm, likely appealing more to televote than jury. Belgium, the opposite. A more than competent performance will be hard to mark down for juries but without a call to pick up the phone for the average voter. However, given the rejection of some of the more entertaining entries on Tuesday, I’m going to go head over heart…
SAN MARINO 🇸🇲
CZECH REPUBLIC 🇨🇿
Given the shocks of Tuesday night and the wide open nature of this semi there’s potential for so many of these to be wrong. As long we get a few more upbeat party tunes to make sure Saturday night is a more lively affair, I’ll be a happy boy.
Photo credit: EBU